The journey of self-discovery can often seem very focused on a single point, just us an individual. But, without looking at the bigger picture of where we got most of our beliefs and values from misses the picture. My guest today has a very intriguing and unique perspective on how longevity is culturally learned.
Dr. Martinez is a clinical neuropsychologist who specializes in how cultural beliefs affect health and longevity. He proposes, based on credible research evidence, that longevity is learned and the causes of health are inherited. He has studied healthy centenarians (100 years or older) worldwide and found that only 20 to 25% can be attributed to genetics – the rest is related to how they live and the cultural beliefs they share. In addition to longevity, he also explains why our immune system is not just a protector. Instead, it responds to the cultural premises we learn to perceive the world.
Today we’ll unpack what biocognitive science is and do a deep dive into his most recent book, The MindBody Self: How Longevity is Culturally Learned and the Causes of Health are Inherited.
In this episode you’ll learn
- What biocognitive science is
- How our culture influences our health and longevity
- How our identity as described in our cultural context gets woven into our mindbody and how to understand it and create change
- The role we play as co-author in every relationship
- How illness and wellness are culturally defined
- Adopting a middle-way consciousness with the definition of illness and wellness
- How the immune system has morals and an ethical system that it assimilates from your culture
- How thoughts and emotions affect the nervous, immune, and endocrine system
- Finding enjoyment in all conditions between adversity and good fortune
- The difference between need and love
- The difference between doing something in excess and in a ritual context, this distinction is huge
- Moving from simple routines to more meaningful rituals
- Seeking novelty instead of looking to the past to find solutions for adversity
- How to let go of stuck feelings
- How intense emotions have a very specific physical correlation and how to unwind them
- How to establish self-value and self-esteem to make change stick
Click to Tweet Mario’s quote
Connect with Mario on social media
- Pick up The MindBody Self on Amazon
You may also like these episodes
- Mastering the Modern Day Relationship with John Gray
- Getting Out of Your Own Way and Creating Your Ideal Life with Lauren Zander
- How to Unleash Your Epic Life in 5 Steps with Preston Smiles and Alexi Panos
Subscribe to The Next Level
Like what you heard?
Strike up a conversation here on the blog, leave a comment below with you biggest take home point.
If you like the show, please take a moment to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, they’re super helpful for the ranking of the show and I read every single one of them personally!
AND, remember to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, to get automatic updates every time a new episode goes live!